Get Ahead in Digital Transformation
Tech and digital coaching support programmes for adults, fully funded by the West Midlands Combined Authority
Reskill yourself whilst furloughed
Reskill your teams to enable digital transformation in your business
Gain key digital skills and become indispensable to your employer
Improve your employability through improved tech and digital skills
Boost your employability
Kickstart your IT career
Become a sought after candidate for an apprenticeship
What is the programme all about?
What courses are available on the programme?
What will I achieve on the programme?
Eligibility and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
This looks good, how do I sign up?
From Andy Street, Mayor of the West Midlands:
“Given the huge numbers of people staying at home due to the Coronavirus, now is a good opportunity for people to consider learning new digital skills.
At no cost to them, residents across the region can pick-up new skills such as data analysis, cyber security, and digital marketing. Given the digital age we are in, skills like these could be vital for the jobs of the future.”
What is the Get Ahead in Digital Transformation Programme all about?
Help companies acquire and develop the important digital skills they need
Help employees reskill to meet the new tech and digital demands of the workplace
Help the unemployed into work and apprenticeship roles by developing their digital skills
The Development Manager (TDM) has secured funding from the West Midlands Combined Authority to pilot this coaching support programme. Digital technologies continue to advance rapidly with new technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Machine Learning, Cloud Computing, 5G Networks and the Internet of Things changing the workplace and therefore, the requirements of the workforce.
Get Ahead in Digital Transformation is a 6 month GROW Coaching Programme, supporting employed people to add new digital accountabilities to their roles or to help unemployed people into new roles with digital accountabilities. As part of the programme, learners can engage with tech and digital courses that will each take a minimum of 3 months to improve their knowledge and skills in the area.
With this funding and the courses on offer we aim to help grow the regional economy by enabling businesses to harness this technologies through improved skills in the workforce, helping people move from jobs roles that are dwindling into new jobs roles that are booming.
Courses available on Get Ahead in Digital Transformation Programme
Software Development - Back End (Java)
Cyber and Information Security
Software Development - Front End (CSS & HTML)
Building and Maintaining IT Networks
What will I achieve on the programme?
The outcomes we aim to achieve for the Get Ahead in Digital Transformation Programme are:
- Someone who is is in employment obtaining a revised employment contract or job specification where they take on new digital accountabilities, responsibilities or tasks
- Someone who isn’t in employment obtaining a new job (including apprenticeships) which includes digital accountabilities, responsibilities or tasks
All learners will work with one of our Professional Development Coaches, receiving professional development coaching on a GROW Model to help identify goals and work toward them. If agreed with one of our Professional Development Coaches, there will also be the opportunity to take Professional Development Courses on the following areas:
- Communicating for success
- Working effectively as a team
- Assertiveness and confidence
- Being an effective employee
The programme includes courses where you can work toward achieving the following certifications:
This course has been created by TDM and will result in an certification from us as a training provider.
Cyber and Information Security
Learners on the course can go on to take the exam to achieve the MTA 98-367 Security Fundamentals certificate
Building and Maintaining IT Networks
Learners on the course can go on to take the exams to achieve the CompTIA A+ 220-1001 and 220-1002 certificates
Software Development – Back End (Java)
Learners on the course can go on to take the exam to achieve the MTA 98-388 Introduction to Programming Using Java certificate
Learners on the course can be supported to achieve the Google Garage Fundamentals of Digital Marketing certificate
Learners on the course can go on to take the exam to achieve the MTA 98-364 Database Administration Fundamentals certificate
Register your interest in our courses
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to sign up for the Get Ahead in Digital Transformation programme?
The aims of TDM’s Get Ahead in Digital Transformation programme are aligned to the skills development needs of the West Midlands Combined Authority. Success of the programme will be when:
- Someone who is is in employment obtains a revised employment contract or job specification where they take on new digital accountabilities, responsibilities or tasks
- someone who isn’t in employment obtains a new job (including apprenticeships) which includes digital accountabilities, responsibilities or tasks
Therefore, the main eligibility criteria is that learners are able to achieve either of these outcomes. This is assessed through the application process. The other eligibility criteria are that learners must:
- be 18 years old and over
- be a resident in the West Midlands Combined Authority
- be a British Citizen
- be earning less than £30,000 per year
- not have a qualification at the same level or higher in the same subject(s) they wish to take on the programme
- e.g. someone with a Level 3 Digital Marketing qualification would not be able to take the Digital Marketing Course but they would be able to take the Cyber and Information Security course
These are the only criteria for these fully funded programmes. The Get Ahead in Digital Transformation programme is therefore open to the self-employed.
What is the duration of the Programme? How long does each Course take?
The Get Ahead in Digital Transformation Programme means that each learner will receive 6 months of GROW Coaching support to achieve the objectives of the initiative.
During this 6 months of support, learners can engage in Courses to develop their Tech and Digital Skills and Knowledge. Each of these courses will last a minimum of 3 months.This will depend on:
- how many courses they have chosen to take
- on their motivation to self-study
- their ability
- their availability
- whether they need to or choose to take the exam at the end of each course
Courses comprises of 3 separate modules, 1 run per month and so a learner would take at least 3 months to complete a course. Each module has 1 opt-in virtual seminar (delivered during work time) with a recommended minimum of 6 hours guided independent study, using materials that learners will have access to on our Virtual Learning Environment.
All participants will have a 2 hour orientation on joining the programme and monthly GROW Coaching sessions of up to an hour in work time.
If participants choose to take the courses, depending on how many they take, they can be engaged with concurrently or consecutively.
The courses are mostly roll on, roll off meaning that learners can join modules as they start rather than waiting for a whole course to start again.
The optional Professional Development Courses that your Professional Development Coach may recommend are delivered via 6 hours of virtual seminar.
How much does the Programme cost?
The Get Ahead in Digital Transformation Programme is fully funded by the West Midlands Combined Authority and is therefore free to learners and their employers, if in work.
The Programme is fully funded by the West Midlands Combined Authorities to work towards its skills aims for the region.
How do I sign up ot the Programme? What's the process?
The process is very straightforward with two forms to fill in, however due to the commitment of the Programme we think it would be good to have a chat with us first. We can talk you through what the course will entail and the work you will need to do. You can get in touch at email@example.com or give us a call on 0333 10 100 40.
If however, you’ve had a good read and you are convinced that you want to take part in the Get Ahead in Digital Transformation Programme, good for you! Just fill out this short Application Form* and send it back to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will check the form and see if you are eligible for the Programme. If so, we’ll send you another quick form, just to confirm your commitment to the Programme and then we can get you started.
* The information we will gather through the process is required by the West Midlands Combined Authority to measure the success of the programme and by ourselves to monitor data related to the applicants we engage with in terms of ethnicity and disability status. The information you provide will only be used to help us monitor participation in the wider community. You can find our equality and diversity and privacy policies on our website: https://thedevelopmentmanager.com/policies/
Can I enrol on the Get Ahead in Digital Transformation Programme if I am self-employed?
Yes, so long as you meet the eligibility criteria:
- 18 years old and over
- A resident in the West Midlands or immediately surrounding counties
- A British Citizen
- Earning less than £30,000 per year
- Do not have a qualification at the same level or higher in the same subject(s) they wish to take on the Programme
- e.g. if you have a Level 3 Digital Marketing qualification, you would not be able to take the Digital Marketing Course but you would be able to take the Cyber and Information Security course
- You can evidence adding digital accountabilities to your work as a result of being on the Programme
What Courses can I choose to go on as part of the Programme?
Currently, TDM are offering six different Courses as part of the Get Ahead in Digital Transformation Programme with more in development. Each of these has an assigned credit value and a learner may choose up to 40 credits’ worth of Courses. A learner does not have to choose the full 40 credits’ worth if they do not wish.
- Digital Transformation – 10 credits
- Cyber and Information Security – 10 credits
- Software Development – Back End (Java) – 10 credits
- Digital Marketing – 10 credits
- Database Management – 10 credits
- Building and Maintaining IT Networks* – 30 credits
For example, a learner may choose to take Digital Transformation and Building and Maintaining IT Networks only or Digital Transformation, Digital Marketing, Database Management and Cyber and Information Security.
* This Course is more substantial than the others with learners potentially able to take the 2 exams to achieve a CompTIA A+ certification.
What support will I get on the Programme and the Courses themselves?
Each learner will receive support mainly from our Professional Development Coaches who will help keep learners motivated with the required self-study as well as working on the regular GROW coaching sessions that will help learners identify and achieve goals.
Our Skills and Knowledge Coaches will help learners with the technical knowledge during e-moderated training and each learner will have access to our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) and the full range of study material the courses and certifications require.
I want my team / employees to enrol on this Programme, how much time would they spend "out of the office"?
In the current COVID-19 emergency, there will be many employees who are “furloughed” with employers utilising the Government’s scheme to cover 80% of salary costs. The Get Ahead in Digital Transformation Programme provides an ideal opportunity for employees to reskill during this time, to add value to their employers when back at work.
Others, whilst working from home will still be in effect “in the office” and employers will rightly want to know how much “out of office” time this Programme may take.
The Programme itself will support learners using a GROW Coaching Model for 6 Months. This is to support learners to achieve the desired outcomes. As part of the Programme, learners can take 40 credits’ worth of Tech and Digital Courses.
Each Course is estimated to take a minimum of 3 months, and comprises of 3 Modules. Each Module comprises of 1 x 6 hour Virtual Seminar that takes place during working hours and a recommended minimum of 6 hours of guided independent study that learners will commit to due their own time.
At the start of the Programme, each learner will attend a 2 hour orientation and engage with 1 GROW Coaching session per month that would last up to 1 hour. These would also take place during working hours.
If agreed with their Professional Development Coach and learners wanted to engage with the Professional Development Courses, then any of these would require 6 hours of e-moderated training that would take place during working hours.
Interested in hiring an apprentice?
Let us help you
0333 10 100 40
St Mary’s Street
217 – 220 Scott House
The Custard Factory