IT Infrastructure Technician Apprentice
The Bewdley School, serves the Georgian town of Bewdley and is on the banks of the River Severn, it is a fully inclusive comprehensive school. Students are hungry to learn, their behaviour for learning having been described in past reviews as ‘stunning’. The IT Support team is currently made up of an IT Technician and a Network Manager dedicated to the maintenance and development of the schools’ IT systems. The IT Support team also supports and manages three local primary schools, which all members of the team regularly visit and manage via an online helpdesk.
The IT Support Team are responsible for nearly 2000 users, 900 workstations, 25 servers and a range of projectors, wireless solutions, printers, internet filtering and other devices.
This vacancy will include such tasks as:
- Maintenance of IT equipment including Smart panels, projectors, Promethean boards, laptops, PC, monitor, iPads, MacBook’s, iMacs & other peripherals
- Log incidents and cases on the IT support helpdesk
- Support the management and maintenance of the IT Network in and around school and local primary schools
- To maintain the schools servers (physical & virtual), switches, remote access systems, wireless, anti-virus management, internet filtering and firewalls.
- To maintain all software and workstations running Windows 10, Windows Server, Mac, IOS, Chrome, Office 365 and Linux
- Provide technical support for teaching and non-teaching staff on the use of hardware and software (both inside and outside of the classroom)
- Work alongside Network Manager and SLT to assist in offering ICT solutions and developments to meet the changing needs of the school
- Install software as and when required on a range of different platforms
- Development and research work in exploring potential new software and hardware for installation within the school
- Monitor hardware and software security across the network
- Provide onsite repairs (where available) on school equipment around the site
- Maintain and monitor loan of hardware to students & staff
- Assist in the development of online platforms such as school website, app, social media and messaging systems.
- Provide first line technical support to teaching & non-teaching staff on schools MIS system (SIMS)
- Maintain Printer & copier fleet changing toners where applicable.
- Liaise with Network Manager on consumables and other hardware requirements for purchase
- Assist in asset management of equipment around the site
- Work alongside ICT Technician to problem solve and fault find on a day to day basis
- Undertake any other duties required in line with the ever-changing world of IT within schools
- Requires a readiness to undertake further accredited training as appropriate
- A readiness to learn new technologies with a keen passion and drive for improving ICT within education and be committed to the role, being fully supported by line management
- An understanding and awareness of Health & Safety & Safeguarding issues
- To maintain personal and professional development to meet the changing demands of the job, participate in appropriate training activities and encourage and support staff in their development and training.
- To undertake such other duties, training and/or hours of work as may be reasonably required and which are consistent with the general level of responsibility of this job.
- To undertake health and safety duties as detailed in the School’s Health and Safety Policy.
- The post holder will be expected to observe safe working practices in carrying out the required duties.
This job description is not a comprehensive definition of roles but a brief overview of key roles and expectations within the IT Support Team. The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and the successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced DBS check.
- Basic knowledge of desktop and laptop computers.
- More advanced knowledge of PC hardware and software
- Ability to follow directions and complete tasks set independently, asking for help if necessary.
- Work constructively as part of a team
- Problem solving
- Good people skills to interact positively with staff and students.
- Understanding role & responsibilities within school and position within this
- Monday – Friday: 8.30am – 5pm
- Total hours per week: 37.50
- Weekly wage: £185.00
Training to be provided
- Level 3 Infrastructure Technician Apprentice qualification together with on site training by the employer.
- For those starting at Advanced (Level 3), the expected duration would be eighteen months. There is an opportunity to progress on to the Higher Apprenticeship (Level 4) and ultimately on to a Degree Apprenticeship.
Knowledge Modules include:
- KM1 Networking and Architecture
- KM2 Mobile and Operating Systems
- KM3 Cloud Services
- KM4 Coding and Logic
- KM5 Business Process
- MTA Networking
Apply For This Role
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.